Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Secrets of Life... of Family, Friends, Community and More


"Ha-ha!" I hear you say, on seeing this headline, "I must read this... the secrets of life" or, more likely, "not another promise of everlasting joy, health and happiness... I don't believe it!"

Well, maybe you should, but don't get too excited, at least until I've told you where it came from!

If I were to tell you that it takes some lessons from classical Greek mythology, a legendary Italian Poet, Dante Alighieri, who is, some say, the father of the Italian language; a knock on the door of our own Poet and Playwright, William Shakespeare, by reference to that famous soliloquy in 'Hamlet', as well as from a little known South African, Eugene N Marais, who did some fascinating and revealing research on the social life of ants. It also makes reference to Vesta, the Roman goddess of the hearth, home and family; and that it is a poem called... "The Secrets of Life" then will you have a different reaction? Or will you think it overly pretentious?

I hope not and trust you will give it a read and tell me what you think about it and, perhaps, give me your alternative views.

What it does come down to for me is the need for some contentment, a reduction in the stress induced in all of us by, on the one hand a fundamental, genetic and unconscious driving force and, on the other, a conscious material greed; one which can help us survive, the other can cause us to fail to find happiness. There is a balance, somewhere.

The poem is here, Tell me where you think that balance is, for you.

Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I read your poem and left a comment there. Very well done John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the need for some contentment, a reduction in the stress induced in all of us by, on the one hand a fundamental, genetic and unconscious driving force and, on the other, a conscious material greed; one which can help us survive, but one also that can cause us to fail to find happiness. There is a balance, somewhere.

    Talk about a lead-in. I'm wondering if you are somehow watching my existence or possibly, we exist on the same plane. I'm heading to your poem now :) I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in the same plane, I think, Beth. Thanks for your comment over there too.

      Delete

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.